Saturday, February 28, 2015

5 Thing I Thought I Would Never Do


I was asked to write five interesting/unique facts about myself in a blog hop with other missionary wives. I thought a blog hop sounded fun so I joined in. So here are some facts about myself, 5 things I thought I would never do that have shaped who I am today.

Five Things I Thought I Would Never Do:

1) Be in full time ministry. 

  I never wanted to be in full time ministry because I thought it was tough work. I saw the heartache and trials many people in full time ministry went through. And simply, I didn't want that for my life. I wanted to have a secular career and be involved with the youth ministry and other ministries of the church---just not in full time ministry. I mean me a missionary's wife? Ha!  But then the Lord began working on my heart and I let go of my dreams and gave the Lord full control. And then shortly after, I met my husband. :) Hello handsome!

2) A long distance runner. 

  Or any runner for that matter. I started running consistently when I was expecting our son. I had tried running before and failed. I would start and then quit. The problem for me, I was doing too much to start and would give up because it was hard. When I was pregnant, I started off just running what I could then taking break, then running again. After a month or two I was almost running the entire mile! A huge accomplishment. Then after Jacob was born, I kept adding miles and did something crazy and signed up for my first marathon. And now I'm hooked! I love running long distance and pushing myself to levels. And now I use my running here in Russia to be a witness and invite others to church! Who knew God could use something I love as a tool to witness!

3) Live somewhere cold! 

As a former Floridian, sad to say "former"...give me a moment... Okay I'm better. 
As a former Floridian, I loathed cold weather. I never had to look at my weather app to get dressed. Sunny with a slight chance of rain - was about the sum of the weather year round. Cold for me was in the 50's! And then my mom made us put tennis shoes on and not flip flops to go outside.
I never knew what a "winter coat" was until I went to college.
"You've never seen snow?" they said.
"You've never been to the beach?!" I would reply.
But the Lord had other plans... And I truly couldn't be happier! There is no better place to be then in the center of God's will!

4)  Be used of the Lord.

For a season in my teen years, I had a very low self view of myself. I thought there was no way the Lord could use me. I'm worthless and have made too much of a mess of my life. I suffered with depression for a season and even struggled with bulimia. The Lord never gave up on me and neither did some strong prayer warriors. The Lord opened my eyes to my self pity party and I gave my heart and life back to the Lord. It's not enough to give the Lord your soul and not trust Him with your life. You then get stuck in a rut going nowhere which is where I was at. It took awhile, but slowly I allowed the Lord to chip away at my mess and He made something beautiful. To God be the glory!

5) Be a missionary in Siberia!

I never thought the Lord could use me as I just mentioned. Then to think of being in full time ministry, no way! I tried telling the Lord that someone else would be better to be used in Siberia. I reminded him that I don't sew, or play piano--but God reminded me all He needed was a willing vessel. So again, as a newlywed-new in the ministry youth pastors wife, I surrendered my will to the Lord. And the Lord has blessed in ways beyond my comprehension. God is so good!

So trust the Lord in all areas of your life! If you're like me, you'll have to be reminded of that from time to time and re-surrender your will to His. There is no greater life than that lived for the Lord! Hope you enjoyed learning 5 new things about me that maybe you didn't know!

And here is the link to another missionary in Australia who is sharing 5 things about her that you may not have known! Jen Bauer and her family have been serving in Australia since 2011, and although I have not met her personally she is a blessing to me and an encouragement! Keep up the great work you are doing for the Lord all around the globe, Jen!
 CLICK HERE TO VISIT HER BLOG!

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, 
saith the Lord.
 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:8,9

No comments:

Post a Comment